Saturday, 6 May 2017

How did I draw this cat "Sophia" with Coloured Pencils?

I received a fine photo from the owner of Sophia.

I do not like to rush when I have to paint or draw. I need to study a portrait and decide how I am going to interpret it.
I had already painted 2 of her cats and so I was acquainted with cat portrait.

I decided to use once more the same paper Stonehenge. It has a very slight tooth, almost unnoticeable, but perceived when I lay the pencil work. In a way it is not a problem with the fur as it adds a bit of pattern. (this is my view)

So, I started to use the grid method to transfer the drawing.
For this, I am very careful to drew the line very faintly as I will have to remove them once the drawing is finished.

Then I drew the cat.

As I am right handed I started on the left, to carry on later on the right.


I love to take my time and this work took 2 hours. I wanted to achieve the first eye.
This photo was done late afternoon. The reason why I have a blue background on the photo
**


This next session took me another 2 hours.
I have used pencils: Derwent and  Prismacolour

Derwent pencils are either soft or hard, according to the colours (this is my find!)
Prismacolour pencils are soft. They are great to achieve the softness of the fur.
***


At this stage, I had already lost count of the hours spent on the face.
It was time to add some strokes. I was not really happy with the pencils I was using.
I remembered I had a few Faber Castell  Albrecht Durer pencils.
They were perfect to give the strokes.

***


It was now time to add some of her body. It took a while as I had to find the right direction of her fur. 
I automatically, went back on the features of the face. I found a few slight mistakes and would not be happy if they were not corrected.

***


Here is the final painting.
It will be sent under secure packaging to Danemark.

To conclude, I think I have developed a great love for Coloured pencils and cannot wait to find another subject to paint with this medium..

Here are a few links that you might find of interest




Like all Art medium, Artist coloured pencils are expensive to buy.

I would suggest to buy them separately, choosing colours that you already use in your palette.
Like myself, you might be painting in watercolour or other mediums. You know which colour you love best. Same with pencils.

However if you wish to buy a set, wait for special offers... 

You can find the reaction of the owner on my Facebook page


*




Post a Comment

Aliya, the little bridesmaid

My latest watercolour with a touch of White gouache on the garment On Paper Saunders Waterford Winsor Newton Fine art artist p...