Monday, 6 March 2017

MY ENCOUNTER WITH WEDGWOOD

I was born just after the war and I truly feel blessed to have lived at a time when children did not have TV, electronic games, Ipad... the lot!

Life was very simple at the top of my father workshop (stained glass windows) 
We lived there until I reached the age of 
6 years old. We had to move to a house after my baby sister was born.

I had a few books, colouring pencils, paper, a doll and a pram given by friends, a teddy bear that I lost. When I was given an orange on Christmas day, I thought it was the most wonderful ball I had ever seen.
When my mother peeled it, I was gutted!

The city of Amiens was badly destroyed by bombs.
I vividly remember house after house gone under rubble and me walking with my grandmother Alice.
When I saw a flower I was mesmerised and my dear grandma was climbing among the stones to get it for me. Trust me, children of today, it was something so special I will treasure in my heart to the rest of my life.

So the centre of Amiens was completed reconstructed.
Meanwhile, the shops had been replaced by dark little black wooden barracks on (if my souvenirs are right)  the Boulevard de Belfort

There was a patisserie where once in a while I could have a "patate" a little cake that has nothing to do with the ones found on the net.
Une patate at the time was soft, with almond taste... delicious!!!

So... where does Wedgwood fit in my story?

Well among the shops there was one that drew my attention.
Being a 5 years old, my nose was with the level of the bottom of the windows.
One day, I stopped in front of one who was displaying the most exquisite little dish.
It was of a beautiful blue with a whitish design on it.
I begged my mum to buy it. Of course she refused explaining to me, the money we had was for food and essential and not for this kind of things.

Each time we went shopping, I wanted to stop to look at this gorgeous little dish.
Then one day, my heart sunk, it was gone! (probably to the relief of my mum)!!! 

I never forgot the blue dish with the exquisite design. While in France I never saw another one.

Then I came to live in England and discovered Wedgwood.
Imagine my face when I saw all the pots, dishes, clocks, name it you have it!
The love of my youth, the beautiful blue and white design...

This morning I was cleaning a tiny vase and was thinking how moments that have marked our little lives.
-What do children of today who got it all, fall in love with?
-Will they ever encounter such experience?

Another thought:
- Should we take notice of our youngsters delight in front of an object?
There could be meanings. May be we could foresee the future taste of our children or even understand more about their aspiration?






Post a Comment

REPRODUCTIONS

I have been known to paint a few reproductions Here is one. Reproduction of one of Chardin's work. I am very fond of this artist....

Popular posts