Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Going Chinese? Marie's Watercolour.

 Chinese have learnt, created and adapted and added the Art of Watercolour in the West to their traditional ways of painting.
They have wonderfully well interpreted landscapes and flowers.

With both styles combined, they create truly awesome paintings

It was time for me to find out a bit more.
I asked Father Christmas to bring me some Chinese watercolour paints.
Are they different to ours? Are the colours more subtle?

Could I mix the styles as they do or would I struggle?

I searched the net to find out if there was some Chinese watercolour sets sold in UK.
I found some.
 The difficulty was to find out how they look,  how they behave etc..
I have decided to give some help to artists that might be tempted to give it a go.

So, I chose Marie's watercolour Chinese watercolour paint. (The alone one on the market)





They come only in small size tubes of 5ml.

I was happily surprised to find that each tube was covered by a protective cap, probably aluminium stuck on the opening.
I wonder if it is to help with the longevity of the paint (in case it hardens like some do..)

I am showing an untouched tube.


Before starting a new medium or new paint, I love experimenting with the colours...


(On ARCHES paper)

Each tube has a number. The rest is written in Chinese and so, there is no way to discover the subtle difference between the Reds of the Blues...

I have made a reference chart. May be one day, I will have to replenish a colour or two.

At first glance, I truly thought the beautiful colours of Winsor Newton did not have to worry about the competition.

I suppose it is while working with these colours, I will appreciate their softness within the tints.

I can imagine a landscape painting with the charm of China or Japan.

Now let me show you if there is any difference of tones between the Chinese paints and the ones I use (Winsor Newton - Sennelier)


I have no difficulty in finding the one I prefer
but I will keep it secret!


I also wanted to know how well they could be lifted from the paper.


As you can see: No problem



I also got some Ink as it is the traditional way of Chinese painting.


They are beautiful.

I will find a way to grind them without to go to further expense.
I will give the results later.

I have experimented with them.

The Ink is permanent. It does not lift.
I dampened one stick and rubbed it on some of my watercolour paper.
Once dried I added some Sennelier watercolour.


Interesting texture

Chinese artists use Rice paper. I have received some too.
I still have to experiment with it but I see no reason why I cannot work on HP watercolour paper.
It is as smooth as the Rice paper.

To follow.....

Let me finish with a  painting by artist Qian Xuan [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

 ON WIKIPEDIA

It is what I call a Chinese traditional painting
Such finesse, beauty within the style... freshness.

13th Century - On scroll - Ink and colours.









Post a Comment

Aliya, the little bridesmaid

My latest watercolour with a touch of White gouache on the garment On Paper Saunders Waterford Winsor Newton Fine art artist p...